Aiden's Birth Story

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I woke up suddenly around 12:30-1:00 AM Monday morning to my water breaking. My doctor told/warned me that I would definitely know if my water broke since I had a high amount of fluid, and she wasn't kidding.. There was a ton of fluid so I knew for sure that I didn't just pee my pants. (Sorry for TMI but come on, this is a birth story. Labor and delivery are full of icky stuff.) 

When we arrived at the hospital we had to go in through the emergency room since it was late. The ER was empty except for a security guard sitting by the entrance. He asked what we needed help with, and I swear his eyes almost popped out of his head when we said we needed L&D. He pointed us in the direction we needed to go and gave me a wheelchair. As Jeremy wheeled me down the long hall to the elevator we laughed at how it didn't seem real yet because at that point I didn't feel like I was in labor. I was feeling a little crampy but it wasn't too painful. 

Headed to L&D.. but first.. let's take a selfie!

I was taken straight to triage so the nurses could make sure my water did actually break. I was 2 cm when they checked me. I started to get more uncomfortable while we waited for the nurses to get in touch with the on-call doctor to let him know I was a primary c-section. I was nervous about having a c-section but on the other hand I was thankful I wouldn't have to deal with painful contractions for who knows how many hours.

Around 3 AM we were moved to a room. The contractions were very uncomfortable at this point and I felt nauseous and shaky. The doctor arrived a 6 AM and I was brought back to the OR. When I was moved to the OR table I started to cry. I felt overwhelmed with different emotions; I was scared and anxious but excited to finally meet our second little boy. All the nurses were sweet and kept talking to me the entire time to help with my anxiety. Once I was numb I started to have a full on panic attack though. The feeling of wanting/needing to move my feet but not being able to totally freaked me out. A nurse tried to help me relax by making me close my eyes and imagine being on a beach.. but.. yeah.. that didn't help. All I could do was cry and beg them to let Jeremy in. They usually don't let husbands in until a certain point but they let Jeremy in early to help me relax. Jer came in and held my hand while I kept telling him "I'm so scared." He stayed calm (as usual) and kept telling me everything was going to be ok. I think I almost broke his hand because I was squeezing it so hard. 

Before we knew it the doctor was holding our new, 10 lbs .4 oz, precious baby boy up over the curtain so we could see him! Everyone in the OR was surprised by how big he was. They kept saying he looked like a one month old! Ha!

proud daddy holding Aiden for the first time
Seeing Aiden helped me relax for a while. Unfortunately the panic set in again while the doctor was closing everything up. I was given a medicine to help me relax (they couldn't give me anything until baby was born because they didn't want the meds to affect him) and it made me fall asleep for a few mins. Soon after I woke up we were taken back to my room to recover. 

My mother-in-law brought Joel to see us and meet Aiden a few hours later. Joel was excited but he didn't want to get too close or hold baby brother.. We expected that so we didn't push it. He slowly started to warm up to him though and would sit next to us while we held Aiden. He would throw in a random "aww, so sweet" or "I love him" when he would look at Aiden. It melted my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment

site design by designer blogs