Monday, August 23, 2010

Last week J spent alot of time in another town working on a project at the gravesite of Marvin G. Shields--the first & only Seabee to receive the Medal of Honor, and the first U.S. Navy Sailor to receive the Medal of Honor for action in Vietnam. Needless to say, it was a huugggge honor for J!


On Wednesday while J was working at the site he had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Shields's widow. The first thing she did was shake J's hand and give him a very special Marvin Shields coin that not many people have! She talked to him for a bit, asking him questions and telling him a few things about Mr. Shields.

He called me during his lunch break and told me all about it because he was so excited. Then a few hours later he called me again and told me she came back with a gift bag for us.. and inside the gift bag was a baby blanket! Of course me being the proper Southern Belle that I am, the first thing that came out of my mouth was "awwwwww, I HAVE to send her a 'thank you' card!!" :)

We felt SO honored! To us she is like the First Lady of the Seabees!

I really hope I will have the opportunity to meet her in the future.. I could think of a million questions to ask her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs